Georgia Tech requires that all applicants demonstrate proof of English language proficiency. Listed below are the ways that this requirement can be satisfied:
- US Citizens and Permanent Residents can submit Lawful Presence documents
- Non-immigrant visa holders can:
- provide proof of citizenship from an approved country listed here
- provide a transcript from a regionally accredited university or college located in the United States reflecting a minimum of one academic year (3 quarters or 2 semesters) of full-time enrollment
- provide a transcript from a university or college located in one of these listed countries reflecting a minimum of one academic year (3 quarters or 2 semesters) of full-time enrollment
- Applicants not meeting any of the above criteria who studied at a school where the language of instruction is English but the country in which the school is located is not listed here are required to submit acceptable standardized test scores as outlined below.
If you do not meet any of the above listed criteria you will be required to submit a standardized test score to satisfy the English Language Proficiency requirement.
Georgia Tech's accepted tests and minimum score requirement for graduate admission are listed below. Please note that meeting Georgia Tech’s minimum score does not guarantee admission since some programs have higher score requirements.
- Official IELTS Academic test score (send scores to Georgia Institute of Technology, "Graduate")
- IELTS ≥ 7 (minimum band score for Reading, Listening, and Speaking is 6.5; minimum band score for Writing is 5.5)
- Official internet based TOEFL score (send scores to Georgia Institute of Technology, "Graduate", institute code 5248)
- TOEFL iBT ≥ 90 (each section must score 19 or higher)
We recommend that you achieve acceptable scores prior to submitting your application. Scores must be no more than two years old on the day you are scheduled to begin your graduate studies. Failure to satisfy the English Language Proficiency requirement will impact our ability to review an application.